Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chicago Incubator Designers Show-pt.2 what I wore

As I readied these photos for posting I noticed just how Midwestern I dressed, for tonight’s event, which lead me down the path to the way Chicago people think and dress, which got me to wondering if Mayor Daley and the rest of em’s efforts were frugal in Launching Chicago Fashion week. I ended up changing my look at the last minute because my friend who is not into fashion at all, but who is for the most part a standard Chicago chick, told me it was going to be cold.
New York women could give a fuck if its cold, they are there braving the weather to see and be seen. No one there is worried about “doing the most” or even outdoing the next. From what I’ve noticed after years of seeing New York, Milan, and Paris, fashions in that order, is that these women and men are only concerned with “doing them.”
So I was all set to go in my leggings I was still trying to decide between boots, when the Midwest sensibility made a special guest apperance in my decision. My girl shows up and is like “leggings, its gone get cold, like real cold tonight,” now I’m thinking damn I really don’t have time for this and ain’t trying to freeze, in a tent, where I’ll surly be standing the whole show long, so I change everything, and put on my good ole trusty dark H&M jeans. Wack. The only thing I had going on was my new trench and old/new belt, and the trench was still a trench when it boils down to it.
Why didn’t I at least go for some kind of pant or skirt. Not leggings or jeans but some kind of trouser, grab a dainty blouse or one of my extra detailed signature white shirts, toss in pumps or booties and hit the road? Because I’ve been so anti work clothes that I don’t really own many pants.
Time to not only switch it up but to expand and be a bit more fearless.
Growing up in Chicago I was NOT surrounded by kids who read Bazaar, Right On! and Seventeen for entertainment and escape while being forced to endure grocery shopping, such as myself.
For the longest without even noticing I’ve basically studied these magazines, photography and looks put together in odd ways with strange and exciting clothes and somehow ended up wearing this…




So yea it’s time to not be the least bit concerned with what people who still shop for matching top and bottom (Dereon, Apple Bottom Baby Phat etc. –I’ve never understood that???) or the people who wear denim jackets, top hats, dirty skinny jeans, super oversized friends current label tees, and 80’s haircuts, might look at me like.
Not talking about them in a negative way, but I just notice that we look at each other that same way and are thinking the same thing about each other, “now why she wear that?”
Pictures from the show tomorrow... hopefully 4:06a.m.

2 comments:

  1. You should move to NY. Maybe you'll be more comfortable there and wont have to dwell with us Chicago/midwestern people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Chicago/Midwestern person, so no matter where I go, I'll have to deal with at least one.
    This was no diss Anonymous, merely noticing a difference, and that just a difference between what I see in photos of other cities, Im not there often enough to judge where or not the picture offers an adequate perspective.
    Even our outgoing dressers take breaks from the "she doing the most" "wtf is she wearing" and can't forget the "she think she the shit" days.
    I mean it was hard enough for YOU to pick out a suit, and convince yourself to wear it! Geography does play a role in the way people of a certain region dress, I mean we Chicagoans don't wear clogs, not the Channel kind or the Dutch kind, I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete