Sunday, August 22, 2010

Kryptonite

Starting a magazine, making dresses and clutches, designing things, taking great pictures, and writhing something down, are in my thoughts EVERYDAY without fail and have been for years, everyday.

Focusing long enough on one thing to accomplish any substantial action, or results has shown itself to be my biggest downfall.
Focus is my kryptonite. The hold back, the excuses, all steam from not having the courage (?) to give my undivided attention to any one thing. And so now I’m like this idea woman, great ideas never any action, this is the road to being the biggest loser. Trying to get off that path and I think the only way to do that is to focus on something. So I’m going to start with making a dress for someone. Committing to something, hmm maybe commitment and focus are my kryptonite.
Either way I chose making the dress because for one my sewing skills are getting rusty and if you don’t use it you lose it right? Plus committing to making this dress for someone else is a lot more motivating than making something for myself, I can always throw crap together for myself, I’m usually the only person around who can tell it isn’t that well made.
About two weeks ago a friend of mine who has been asking me for a while to make her a clutch asked me to make her birthday dress. Mostly because she wants something no one has and knows I can sew and it would probably be cheaper, not because she’s blown away by my design aesthetic. Her birthday is September 7. Now I wasted the last couple weeks trying to decide if I want to commit to this, which I still really haven’t, at least not to her but more so to myself (baby steps). Now this started with her wanting a little back dress (LBD) to ten minutes later her wanting a semi-copy of another dress... (this the photo she sent me, she is a stylist and this is one of her jobs so I'm not sure if I was supposed to share it but here it is)

The one she wants me to make has shoulder pads, with studded shoulders a 50’s style a-line skirt and boat neck collar, with caps sleeves and the back out. I came up with this. No shoulder pads or studs, because, well I just don’t want to do it.
I mean that would completely turn it into a trendy dated look plus I’m sure she’s not willing to pay for all that. Half up front so I could go get materials and then we’d have to coordinate fitting times and I still have to go to work everyday so I had to simplify it. The picture of the dress she showed me as her inspiration, inspired me to just in a different way. I kept the lace idea for the neckline and as an inset in the ¾ length sleeves, the a-line skirt is a bit more flared than stiff, the back is out and its just a bit more me.

My only issue is what kind of fabric. I was thinking some kind of knit with sheen, or at least knit for the top, and something satiny for the bottom. I have no clue and I just got back from the fabric store with some stuff so we’ll se how it goes. And though I’m off work today, I can’t use today to work it because my workspace is being obstructed, and the other reason, I'll post later. Wish me luck.1:03p.m.

1 comment:

  1. First, Kudos for you keeping up with your blog. Second, great job on putting your designs out there and making clothes again. Third, Stop doubting, get over yourself and just do it. You have nothing to loose and failing is only not trying at all. Its time for you to step up and out of the box. I know the dress will be haute; I can't wait to see it. You still owe me a clutch, lol.

    Tootles,

    Your girl J to ANA

    ReplyDelete