Sunday, May 8, 2011

Asylum Sundays

Went to Le Fleur de Lis (301 East 43rd Street)for Asylum Sundays. K'Love fucking killed, yet again. I've seen this chick in person 2 or 3 times and I must say that her poem last Sunday inspired by the power of positive thought was the icing on the cake.

This is Senyo, family. Behind him is Patience. This girl, the first time I heard her she did a poem about "seeing Africa from her bedroom" then last Sunday she sang her cover of Gnarles Barkley, Crazy, (a song I honestly can see why people like it, but did not do the same for me) and blew me the fuck away. Like I need to know where I can download that shit, I mean I really did not see that coming.

Yes, my homie is the shit and I swear he gets better every time I see him do his thing.

My girl Tenesha from high school got up there and surprised me. It was her first time on the mic and I had no idea she even wrote poems.

The night was full of Chicago's finest. It wasn't my first Asylum Sunday but I was inspired none the less. The venue used to be the negro league cafe, where I've been before on dates, and for fashion shoes before it closed and reopened as Le Fleur de Lis. I honestly prefer the old name but the new decor works and hopefully the Black community can keep it open, it's like one of OUR few hot spots. 11:14p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment