Sunday, August 14, 2011

Progress?


So I've been back and forth with a stylist I discovered about two months ago. The back and forth has lead us straight to the middle of nowhere because at this point the shoot that I wanted to be our trial/first together to see if we meshed is going on as planned, just without him. I'll let you in on what the aim was. For the first issue, due out end of next month (ha! optimisim seems delusional at this point) there was this Caribbean undertone, where a few of the people I interview and feature have a Caribbean background plus I've been learning a bit about the huge Caribbean population we have in Chicago. So I wanted the one fashion editorial in the premiere issue to have that same flare.

I'm completely aware that every September issue of every major mag is all about fall. But I thought this went better especially with the kind of publication I'm trying to produce. But to pull this off and to avoid any headaches and major wastes of time like before, I figured a stylist is crucial! I have a degree in fashion design but I felt like I have an idea I can't execute as well as I want it to be especially having no ideas for looks/clothes jump out at me. There's usually a piece I see somewhere that gets the wheels turning and gives me the theme I'm going to aim for, but for the first time, I had the theme and no idea where to start.

So I turned to Facebook. Actually, there was a guy, a stylist (whom I actually mentioned on this blog before but can't find the post to link you to it) Redgi Woods whom my co-worker met and mentioned me to about a year or so ago. I sought him out on Facebook, to see what he's been up to. I also had in mind a chick another co-worker mentioned named Ebone Mccloud. Somehow in attempting to stalk these people I came across Jakeen Couture. I wish I could remember link for link what lead me to him but I do know that when I clicked on his blog from a link on one of his pictures and was slightly more interested in getting him to take on this task than the others.
I have no idea what struck me, especially since the blog hadn't been recently updated and the first feature of his work, I wasn't crazy about, but as I kept clicking through I was becoming sure about him, so I reached out.
That was Thursday July 14 2011, he responded the next day saying he was interested, and wanted to meet up to discuss things further. To try to make this to long story shorter today was our first time texting each other and we still have not met. As unlike me as this is about to sound, I still want to see what working together would be like. However I don't know when our next opportunity for that will be because I've already pulled items and put together looks for the upcoming shoot that has moved from Caribbean inspired to just being called " Holding on to Summer."

I feel like I'm holding on to my sanity by a thread but I'm gone pull this one out, after this shoot my focus is back to the actual content and Renetrice,getting her the deposit and getting her started! Last but never the least I booked my flight to New York today, It'll be my first time there during fashion week, and I have in mind about 5 people I want to photograph and interview during my visit, lets call it a business trip! 12:50a.m.

1 comment: