Sunday, June 19, 2011

DareDevil


Once upon a time, when I was little, I did things, like throw glass bottles against the same concrete sidewalks I used to get to the corner store as well as school. I jumped from the highest heights, with the big kids, just to land in the same field of grass we ran for hours in, no destination, just making circles. Even when there was no grass I'd still try my luck from the first step, from the top and jump down, no other kids around. Thats just how I was.
Talk to my granny and she'd tell you many more stories like these, except she's always in hers, as the person I was daring. "I dare you to tell me no, I can't do it" is what I was telling her with all steps and glances back as I advanced to the edge. She was a daredevil too, she didn't have to look at me to know what I'd do. So she watched me without looking or telling me no. I still have mostly the scars on my knees as proof to her stories.
Boys were easier to race then, I didn't like them so my only mission was to beat them, running so fast I'd fall over my own legs.
I couldn't swim but I almost drowned in the deep end. The water was always my friend until I found out other kids peed in it, fuck it I thought, I'd pee in it too, just this time for something new to do.
When my favorite cousin came for visits we'd communicate with the boy in the building a few feet away by flashing our "imagination" just to play. When she was around we found I could sing, on the way to the playground our favorite song on the radio we would sing, loudly.
I shook the same trees I climbed, to make caterpillars fall to the ground, just so I can touch their colors, and imagine them as butterflies.
Things changed, no need to dwell on the moments when, but now that I'm reminded of who I was, I can work on bringing some of the best parts of me back.2:48a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment